Wednesday, September 07, 2011

New Napoleonic Rules - Tremble Ye Tyrants

I must say a set I hadn't heard about till I read the announcement, but they will be carried by North Star.


The latest set of rules from Chris Peers’ Ruga Ruga Publishing will be with us next week.

Tremble ye Tyrants! is a set of rules for medium to large scale wargames set in the last decade or so of the Napoleonic Wars, or roughly between 1805 and 1815. This is the classic Napoleonic “Empire” period, including the great campaigns of Austerlitz, Jena, Eylau and Friedland, Aspern and Wagram, as well as the invasions of Spain and Russia, and the decisive allied victories at Leipzig and Waterloo. In addition to refighting these great battles, and the countless lesser ones of the era, the rules are designed to be suitable for free-form campaigns, hypothetical scenarios, and one-off competition style games using armies built on a system of points values. Tabletop armies can represent a wide variety of real life levels of organisation, from a division up to a full scale army.

Tremble ye Tyrants! is aimed at players who want a fast playing and enjoyable game with a minimum of complex mechanisms, but which retains as much as possible of the tactical flavour of the period, and makes large scale manoeuvres feasible within the confines of an evening’s game. Although designed mainly with 28mm figures in mind, it is suitable for any scale and any size of game.

We have not only improved the quality of Tremble Ye Tyrants compared to previous Ruga-Ruga books, we have managed to bring down the cover price to £10.00.

For all pre-orders placed, we are offering Tremble ye Tyrants post free world-wide.

Well I like to hear of new rules, particularly ones aimed at 28mm but as has been the case before with North Star announcement's the above is just completely meaningless blurb that could equally be applied to any and every set of Napoleonic rules known to man.

If you want me to preorder couldn't you give me at least the tiniest bit of information about how the rules are structured or what the game mechanism is like?

How bad has the quality of Ruga Ruga previous publications been that it warrants a mention that these are better and what was the old price? (Previous ones were stapled together and priced GBP12.00-GBP14.00).

Is there or will there be any PDF option, don't know about you but personally a PDF option is becoming increasingly important, I don't go anywhere without my iPad these days!!

These could be a great set of rules and if you have played Chris Peers rules before maybe you know all the answers to the above, but for someone like me who hasn't I am left frustrated by what I don't know.

To order or see more info click here.

3 comments:

Anibal Invictus said...

Agree 100% with all your comments. Fed up of publicity and the lack of really important details to make my judgemnent about purchasing or not a product.

Broeders said...

After playing some turgid Napoleonic rules (L'Aigle anyone?) anything that says 'fast' and 'play' gets my thumbs up!

We need to have a rule set that gets a game done in a couple of hours for a Thursday night. Grand Armee is OK I suppose but I'm looking for something fast and dirty. I'll look into these and let you know.

Robert said...

@PhilB
Agree with the sentiment (I have L'Aigle too!), I am even 'for' old school back-to-basics, non-glossy rules just wish they had given a bit more info about what this set is.

Actually from the sounds of it I think this set is crying out to be turned into a PDF and made available electronically, resolves all the quality issues and postage becomes nothing.

Anyway keep us informed if you find out more about these rules.